bye everyone

 Hey everyone! I can’t believe it is our final blog post of the semester, I don’t know about you all but the last few months have flown by for me. When I first started this course, I honestly didn’t think I would like it at all. It seemed like a lot of reading so I was just trying to get through my literature requirement, but now that I’m reflecting back on the course this semester, I actually did enjoy it. One of my favourite things about this course was that our blog posts didn’t have to be perfect pieces of writing. I think that took off a lot of pressure in this course because I felt like I could truly just share my thoughts as they came to me, not having to make sure it was exactly what the professor wants to hear. It was also the first time I had actually read all of the required readings/books for a course before. I think we have all been in courses where we may skip some readings or skim through books, but the books we read throughout the course were enjoyable (for the most part) and I’m glad that I actually took the time to read them all completely because it actually made me miss reading. I mentioned in my initial blog post that I used to read quite often but then stopped due to having so many assigned readings during university, but now I remember why I liked to read and how you can disconnect with the real world and only focus on the book.

My favourite book that we read in this course would be “The Shrouded Woman” by Bombal because I really liked how it was being narrated by a woman who was dead, but still able to reflect on her life and past relationships and even learn new things about how people felt about her. I really liked that it showed how difficult managing relationships with both family members and romantic partners can be because you may never truly know how one another feel until it is too late. This also made me reflect on my own personal experiences and relationships more than any other book did. I think that my least favourite book of the semester would be “Money to Burn” by Piglia. I mentioned in my blog post that I don’t like crime or thriller books so that is the biggest reason for this being my least favourite, I also know that I hated having to read through how the women are described in that book.

 

My final question is: what was your favourite and least favourite book that we read?

Comments

  1. “The books we read throughout the course were enjoyable (for the most part)“. A lot of people really liked Money to Burn (me too, to be honest) and I think it's fantastic that you didn't... that's precisely the spirit of the course. It is a space for you to enjoy what you read, to discard what you hate and also for you to reconcile with your voice when writing. Good job! Enjoy your summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    I totally agree, time flew by for me as well! I'm so glad you enjoyed the class as much as I did. My favourite novel of the term was definitely "The Shrouded Woman," but I think the book I enjoyed the least was probably "Combray." Sorry, Proust :/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Combray

Money to burn - Ricardo Piglia

Time of the Doves - Mercè Rodoreda