Money to burn - Ricardo Piglia

    I would give this book a 3/10.  I don’t usually like crime/thriller or action books. I also really didn’t like that it was a true story because the descriptions of the deaths were definitely creeping me out to be honest. Another reason that I didn’t like this book was because it was pretty hard to follow. I had to constantly reread parts because I couldn’t figure out how it went from one event to the next. It would be in the middle of a serious explanation about the trauma that led them to where they are now into an uncomfortable sex scene. After watching the lecture this week, it helped me understand the book a bit better and made the story and events that occurred easier to follow. I also found it hard to read through the parts where they discussed women. I understand that this happened a while ago but I just didn’t like the language that was used whenever a woman was brought up or in the scene and it kind of made me cringe when they were constantly referring to them as ‘whores’.

    I honestly didn’t think I would end up liking any part of this book. However, one of the aspects of this book that I actually liked was that it talked about what led these people to where they are now and their motivation for commit these crimes. It also discussed how police officers are flawed and aren’t so different from the criminals which is a perspective worth thinking about in the context of this story.. I also ended up really liking two characters, Dorda and the Kid. I found myself really invested in their lives both individually and the relationship between them. I’m not going to lie, it was upsetting to read the part where the Kid is dying and I really felt sorry for Dorda when the police go up to their room and he collapses and  then lays there hugging the Kid.


    Throughout the story, it is mentioned that there is a discrepancy between what really occurred, and the stories people tell about what happened. Obviously since Piglia is writing a book that needs to be engaging it makes sense to slightly change certain events to ensure it is always interesting. That leads me to my question for the week, do you think that Piglia alters the story to the point that it changes how true it is?

Comments

  1. Hi Lauren! I also agree that I did not personally enjoy the way the book used gritty and disturbing descriptions throughout the novel. I think that the author altered the story to make it more dramatic and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, great post! I agree that the story was hard to follow. I found the way it was written hard to make me concentrate with so much dense text. I agree that he altered it to probably make for more of an entertaining thriller...now the ethics behind that I don't know considering these were real people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren, I also found it upsetting when I was reading the part where the Kid was dying, and Dorda was holding the Kid in his arms. I think their relationship, specifically this scene, brings out the harmonious element in the novel. The novel depicts ongoing violence and power dynamics between the police and the gang, and it seems that the scene where Dorda holds the Kid in his arms features the humane side of the gang. Perhaps this also reverses the authorities' linear illustration of the gang that they are merely "criminals" who ought to be eliminated for the betterment of society.

    - Janae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren! I definitely agree that I did not like this book and also feel the same that this book was quite difficult to follow along at times. To answer your question, I feel like Piglia does make changes to his novel by adding the different background stories of the characters. It probably would have been very difficult for him to know the actual people's past experience. However, I don't think the alterations make this story less true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lauren, I agree completely with your post I wasn’t a fan of the genre as well going into the novel and the text definitely feels like it was made to make us uncomfortable at some points. I think ur question is really interesting because I can see why the author would fabricate the narrative a little to make the story more compelling and intense but I think it is interesting to wonder if the pieces that were altered makes the story untrue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Combray

Time of the Doves - Mercè Rodoreda